Malawi National Women’s Football team coach Abel Mkandawire has called up a squad of players to go into camp on Tuesday in preparation for the 2019 COSAFA Women’s Championship to be held in South Africa from July 31-August 11.
The strong squad includes foreign based sisters Temwa Chawinga and Tabitha Chawinga, who ply their trade in Sweden and China respectively.
The She-Flames are in Group A alongside hosts and defending champions South Africa, as well as Madagascar and Comoros.
The same squad will face Kenya in the 2020 Olympics Qualifiers second round tie later in August.
Meanwhile, the coach said the training will focus more on improving the physical and psychological state of his charges.
“The matches we played against Mozambique in the Olympics qualifiers proved that tactically the girls are getting it right, but they showed some deficiency in mental strength as well as physical fitness which we must work on before invading Port Elizabeth,” said Mkandawire.
Malawi provisional squad:
- Samir Amadu – DD Sunshine FC
- Ruth Mhango – DD Sunshine FC
- Mercy Sikelo – Ntopwa FC
- Martha Banda – Blantyre Zero FC
- Moreen Phiri – CY Sisters FC
- Emily Jossam – Skippers FC
- Fatsireni Kazembe – Skippers FC
- Ruth Nyirongo – DD Sunshine FC
- Chimwemwe Madise – DD Sunshine FC
- Patricia Nyirenda – Ntopwa FC
- Slyvia phiri – Ntopwa FC
- Towera Vinkhumbo – Blantyre Zero FC
- Salome Vinkhumbo – Blantyre Zero FC
- Chikondi Gondwe – CY Sisters FC
- Wezzie Mvula – DD Sunshine FC
- Madina Nguluwe – DD Sunshine FC
- Bridget Mkuzilire – Skippers FC
- Fanny Mwale – DD Sunshine FC
- Zainabu Kapanda – Blantyre Zero FC
- Chimwemwe Bonongwe – Ntopwa FC
- Sabina Thom – DD Sunshine
- Asimenye Simwaka – Karonga F
- Linda Kasenda – Skippers FC
- Enelecio Mhango – DD Sunshine FC
- Loveness Nyakamera – Skippers FC
- Mary Chavinda – Blantyre Zero FC
- Shirah Dimba – Blantyre Zero FC
Temwa Chawinga – Sweden