Percy Tau will not be returning to Club Brugge and his immediate future is in doubt as his club Brighton and Hove Albion wait to make a decision on what is next for the attacking midfielder.
The 26-year-old South Africa international has spent the last year at Brugge on loan from Brighton after failing to get a work permit to compete in England’s Premier League.
Tau made a strong impression at Brugge, in both the Belgian league and UEFA Champions League, in the first half of the campaign, but lost his form after picking up mid-season niggles.
Brugge, who last month were still vacillating over whether to negotiate with Brighton for another season-long long spell, have decided not to pursue their interest, Belgian press reports on Thursday said.
The reports also said he had been offered to other Belgian clubs for next season, indicating there are no immediate plans at Brighton to bring him into their squad for next season. They paid Mamelodi Sundowns 2-million euros to sign him in July 2018.
Tau spent his first season in Europe on loan at Union Saint Gilloise in the Belgian second division.
Brugge, who were crowned Belgian champions after the season was prematurely called off because of the COVID-19 crisis, returned to training this week without Tau in preparation for both the Belgian Cup final on August 1 plus the new Belgian season.