Malawi coach Peter Mponda has gone for continuity in his 2019 Men’s COSAFA Under-20 Championship provisional squad, after retaining more than half of last year’s team in his 34-man list.
Mponda has called 16 players who were part of the squad that participated in the CAF Under-20 Qualifiers and the COSAFA championship in 2018, for this year’s tournament that will be staged in Lusaka, Zambia from December 4-14.
The former Flames captain has also called nine players who were part of the 2018 COSAFA Under-17 championship squad in Mauritius, while the other nine are new.
Announcing the squad on behalf of Mponda during a press conference, team manager Aubrey Nankhuni said the technical panel decided to go for continuity as part of FAM’s long-term player development process.
“We already have a pool of players who have been part of the system in the past two years and still qualify to take part in this competition. So, it was important to bring them back as we continue to build them for the future.
“But we have also brought in nine new players who have never been part of the setup but are good players who must try their luck,” said Nankhuni.
The team will go into residential camp at the Mpira Village in Blantyre on Wednesday and will start training on Thursday.
Malawi will find out their first round opponents when the draw is made for the championship in Lusaka on Friday.
By Gomezgani Zakazaka
Malawi provisional squad:
- Elliasi Missi (Nyasa Big Bullets)
- Anthony Singini (Karonga Utd)
- Hestings Banda (CIVO Utd)
- Innocent Shema (Silver Youth)
- Blessings Mpokera (Nyasa Big Bullets Youth)
- Josephy Balakasi (Mtopwa FC)
- Hadji Wali (Silver Strikers)
- Maxwell Paipi (Silver Youth)
- Henry Chiwaya (Wizard)
- Alick Rabson (Hangover FC)
- Francis Mtoso (Ascent Academy)
- Kesten Simbi (Izoizo FC)
- Harvey Nasiyaya (Gumbala FC)
- Auspicious Kadzongola (Nyasa Big Bullets)
- Franklin Titani (Nyasa Big Bullets)
- Patrick Mwaungulu (Nyasa Big Bullets)
- Aziz Mwakifuna (Nyasa Big Bullets)
- Francisco Madinga (Beforward Wanderers)
- David Mereka (Wizard FC)
- Frank Chizuze (Silver Strikers Youth)
- David Daudi (Nyasa Big Bullets Reserve)
- Lovemore Mbeta (Ascent Academy)
- Wisdom Mpinganjira (Hangover FC)
- Kingsley Kuwali (Blue Eagles)
- Chinsinsi Maonga (Silver Strikers Youth)
- Clement Nyondo (Karonga Utd)
- Patrick Rudi (Blue Eagles)
- Charles Nkhoma (Moyale Barracks)
- Walisungu Mdoka (Moyale Barracks)
- Christopher Mtambo (Chitipa Utd)
- Stanley Billiat (Nyasa Big Bullets Reserve)
- Lanjesi Nkhoma (Nyasa Big Bullets)
- Aubrey Maloya (Beforward Wanderer