Namibia’s squad for this month’s African Nations Championship in Cameroon remain in isolation after 10 players and one technical staff member tested positive for COVID-19 last week.
They are to be retested this week, Namibia Football Association secretary general Franco Cosmos said, after which a decision will be made on their next steps before the kick off of the tournament.
“The team remains in quarantine for now until another test will be done. From there, we will be in a good position to tell you the way forward. As for now, there isn’t anything planned,” said Cosmos.
Being forced into isolation has meant that plans to go to Rwanda for a pre-tournament, also involving the Democratic Republic of Congo, from January 7-11 was now looking unlikely.
“Yes, the pre-CHAN preparatory tournament has been affected because we won’t be sending players that are affected by the virus. However, when we are done doing our final test, we will fly straight to Cameroon for the main competition,” Cosmos told reporters.
Namibia have been drawn in Group D at the finals alongside Tanzania and Zambia and begin their campaign against Guinea on January 19.